Private Wealth, Tax
Alex Jorge is a partner in Campos Mello Advogados in cooperation with DLA Piper of the and co-head of the Tax Practice based in New York and Sao Paulo.
He advises clients in tax planning and consulting for direct and indirect taxes, audit defense, M&A, transfer pricing, customs, private wealth and international taxation.
Alex advises clients in several sectors, in particular, consumer goods, direct selling, agribusiness life sciences, oil & gas, technology, insurance andfinancial services, capital venture, real estate and educational enterprises doing businesses in Brazil or investing abroad.
His experience includes the design and implementation of tax efficient business structures and general tax advice on taxation of foreign profits, transfer pricing, thin-capitalization, cross-border transactions, investment in regulated vehicles (i.e., FIP, FII), utilization of special customs regimes, financing and licensing arrangements.
Alex joined Campos Mello in the beginning of 2013 and brings to the firm more than 15 years of experience as in-house counsel for U.S multinationals, including Avon Products and Philip Morris.
Alex is frequently sought by specialized tax publications to provide comments on controversial issues in Brazil. He is praised by clients as being very responsive, clear in how he presents issues and solutions but yet technical.
• Recommended Lawyer in Tax
The Legal 500: 2015 and 2018
• Brazilian Bar Association (OAB), Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo Chapters
• Former Chairman of the Tax Committee of the Brazilian Direct Selling Association (ABEVD) during 2001-2003 term.
• Member of the Brazilian Bar Association (Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro Chapters) and the Brazilian Association of Attorneys (AASP).
• Fordham University, School of Law, LL.M. in Banking, Corporations and Finance Law (February 2012)
• New York University, School of Law, Survey on International U.S Taxation (Summer 2004)
• Harvard University, School of Law, Introduction to U.S Legal System (Summer 2002)
• Getulio Vargas School of Business (FGV), Sao Paulo, Brazil, Post-graduation in Economic and Corporate Laws, with emphasis in Accounting and Economics (2001)
• LL.M in Taxation, Catholic University, School of Law (PUC), Sao Paulo, Brazil (1998)
• Juris Doctor, Catholic University, School of Law (PUC), Sao Paulo, Brazil, (1996)