Rio de Janeiro
T +55 21 3262 3027
Rua Lauro Müller, 116 – 25th floor Condomínio do Edifício Rio Sul Center Botafogo – Rio Janeiro, RJ – Brazil - 22.290-906
Rio de Janeiro
T+55 11 3077 3500
Av. Pres. Juscelino Kubitschek, 360 - 10th floor Vila Nova Conceição - São Paulo, SP - Brazil 04543-000
#corporate #M&A #capitalmarkets #realestate #contracts
Fabio Perrone Campos Mello is a managing partner in Campos Mello Advogados’, Brazilian arm of DLA Piper. He has an extensive practice in the areas of real estate, corporate, mergers and acquisitions and securities, providing assistance with planning and structuring of business transactions and corporate activities, including incorporation of companies; corporate reorganizations and restructuring; and assembly of joint ventures, consortiums, associations, foundations, partnerships and other methods of organizing businesses, activities and enterprises.
Fabio’s services also include guiding clients in the acquisition and disposition of corporate shareholdings or assets; executing due diligence procedures, divestitures, M&A transactions (including management buyouts and takeovers); and assisting in the acquisition or transfer of ownership of equity interests, minority shareholdings and the structuring of public offerings of shares.
He offers legal advice in all investment operations, directing Brazilian and foreign investors on mutual funds, investment companies and share portfolios. Among his clients are Brazilian and international companies in many industry sectors, such as hospitality and leisure (hotels and resorts), infrastructure, financial and banking services (investment management and funds), real estate and transportation.
Recent editions of Chambers Latin America recognized Fabio as a leading individual in Corporate/M&A and Real Estate, being described by clients as “a lawyer with tremendous knowledge of international law and a Midas touch when it comes to drafting contracts” and also as “exceptionally client focused.”
Fabio Campos Mello, who takes the lead on corporate work and earns plaudits for his “professionalism and dedication to projects”. Latin Lawyer, 2018
Fabio Perrone Campos Mello earns endorsements worldwide as one of the foremost real estate lawyers in Brazil. Who’s Who Legal, 2016
Fabio Perrone Campos Mello is a well-known figure in the Brazilian market and is recognised for his invaluable sector experience. Who’s Who Legal, 2016
Fabio Perrone Campos Mello is singled out by sources for his negotiation skills: “It is a pleasure to work with him – he is proactive and skilful during negotiations.” He routinely represents leading names from the hospitality and leisure sector. Chambers Latin America, 2018
• Advising CTF Development Inc. in the acquisition of 35% in the private equity fund incorporated to participate in the special purpose company created to explore the Cidade Matarazzo Project, a landmark high-end retail and hotel project in the city of São Paulo.
• Advising Italian infrastructure group Atlantia and its Brazilian subsidiary Autostrade Concessões e Participações Brasil on corporate, tax and contractual matters related to the creation of a R$3.3 billion joint venture with Grupo Bertin in one of the largest operations in the Brazilian infrastructure sector. The resulting joint venture will be the largest Brazilian company specialized in road concessions, managing a portfolio of more than 1,500 km in toll roads concentrated in the states of São Paulo and Minas Gerais, with annual gross revenue around R$1 billion.
• Advising Ager Incorporações Imobiliárias, a Brazilian developer company based in Rio de Janeiro, in a R$ 500 million joint venture with global real estate investment firm GTIS Partners in order to perform real estate developments in Brazil.
• Advising Brazilian transportation and logistics Fink Group on acquiring a US$200 million equity stake (60%) in Santos Brasil, the company that manages the largest and busiest container port in Latin America.
• Advising worldwide hotel operator and franchisor Marriott International on the US$47.5 million sale of JW Marriott Hotel Rio de Janeiro, in Brazil, to an affiliate of US hospitality real estate company Host Hotels & Resorts.
• Advising Brazilian real estate developer Brookfield Residential Properties on the US$ 242 million acquisition of real estate developer Tamboré.
• Advising Mexican pharmaceutical distributor group Casa Saba on the US$115 million acquisition of Brazilian drugstore chains Drogasmil and Farmalife, encompassing more than 100 stores.
• Advising US steel company Nucor Corporation on a US$80 million agreement with Brazilian mining group Vale to create a joint venture to construct and operate a green iron project for the production of pig iron.
• Advising Brazilian beverage company Cervejaria Devassa on the sale of its controlling shares to Schincariol, one of the major breweries in Brazil.
• Advising Brazilian transportation and logistics Fink Group on acquiring controlling interest in logistics service provider Multiterminais Alfandegados do Brasil, through the exercise of preferential rights, in conjunction with Gávea Investimentos.
• Assisting energy industry private equity and infrastructure investor firm First Reserve Corporation in acquiring a 49% stake in DOF Subsea ASA from the DOF Group, a group that owns and operates a fleet of offshore-/subsea vessels and also has engineering capacity to service the subsea market.
• Advising transportation service provider TBS International on an agreement with Log-In Logística Intermodal, a subsidiary of Brazilian mining group Vale, to establish a partnership for the maritime transportation of break bulk and project cargo.
• Advising leading Brazilian multinational Odebrecht on the land acquisition and structuring of a mixed use real estate development, in 620.000 square meters area in Barra da Tijuca, Rio de Janeiro, encompassing the construction of the ‘Olympic Village’, in preparation for the 2016 Summer Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
• Advising Brazilian shopping center developer, operator and owner Multiplan on the R$231 million acquisition of a 36,000 square meters property from WalMart, located in a high profile district in Rio de Janeiro, where a Walmart supermarket is currently in operation.
• Advising real estate development company REX, part of Brazilian entrepreneur Eike Batista’s EBX Group, on negotiating and drafting a highly complex leasing contract with football club Flamengo for the development of a new luxury hotel on a previous residential building, with estimated investments around R$100 million.
• Advising Generali Brasil Seguros, subsidiary of the Generali Group, one of the most significant players in the global insurance and financial products market, on the R$86 million sale of its Generali buiding along with 36 parking lots in another building, both located in downtown Rio de Janeiro, to Brazilian commercial real estate investment firm São Carlos Empreendimentos e Participações.
• Advising Pylos do Brasil Participações, subsidiary of Belgian real estate investor Pylos Group, on the acquisition of three office buildings in downtown Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. All buildings will undergo a modernization process, in estimated investments above €50 million.
• Advising Brazilian brewery Ambev, leader of the Latin America market and part of leading global brewery Anheuser-Busch InBev, on real estate aspects related to the US$65 million sale of a historic property (an old Brahma beer factory, in Rio de Janeiro) to a private equity fund managed by Prosperitas Investimentos. Developers will build in the property a commercial real estate development with a projected investment of US$215 million, expading the Sambadrome Marquês de Sapucaí (‘Sambódromo’) in accordance with the 2014 World Cup and 2016 Olympic Games legislative package.
• Advising Mexican movie theater chain Cinépolis on the leasing and construction agreements for Cinépolis Lagoon, a R$10 million 6-screen cineplex located in front of Lagoa Rodrigo de Freitas, a lagoon surrounded by many high-profile districts in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
• Advising major Brazilian construction company João Fortes Engenharia on acquiring, developing and selling Bangu Shopping, in Rio de Janeiro, to Aliansce Shopping Centers, a Brazilian joint venture between Iguatemi Nacional and General Growth Properties.
• Advising Brazilian shopping center developer, operator and owner Multiplan on the R$165 million sale of Morumbi Business Center, a high-class office building alongside major mall Morumbi Shopping, in São Paulo, to Oracle do Brasil, subsidiary of enterprise software company Oracle Corporation.
• Advising hotel operator Marriott International on the US$47.5 million sale of JW Marriott Hotel Rio de Janeiro, in Brazil, to an affiliate of US hospitality real estate company Host Hotels & Resorts.
• Advising Brazilian mall owner Multiplan on the development of Village Mall, in Rio de Janeiro, one of the most high-end shopping malls in Brazil.
• Advising an affiliate of global hospitality company Hyatt Hotels Corporation on the acquisition of a majority interest in a 46,000 square meter ocean-front property in Barra da Tijuca, an upscale residential and commercial district of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, for the purpose of developing a 408-room Grand Hyatt hotel.
• Advising leading Brazilian mall owner Brookfield Shopping Centers on developing and acquiring several shopping malls, such as Shopping Rio Sul, Itaú Power Shopping, Raposo Shopping and Shopping Mogi, among others in different locations in Brazil.
• Advising a Portuguese investment group on the land acquisition and structuring of real estate mixed use developments (commercial, residential, hotel, mall and marina) in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The ‘Marina Resort Residencial’ and ‘Rio Marina Resort Residencial’ projects encompassed a total of 514 units, 932 boat slips and R$200 million in sales.
• Advising on the legal structuring of the development of Club Med Reserva do Peró Resort in the state of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
• Advising Brazilian healthcare provider Amil Assistência Médica Internacional on structuring and restructuring the real estate mixed use development ‘Hospital das Américas’, a private hospital complex located in an area of more than 60,000 square kilometers in Barra da Tijuca, one of the fastest growing neighborhoods in the city of Rio de Janeiro.
• Advising an English hospitality investment group on the acquisition of land and development of an eco-friendly luxury boutique hotel in São Conrado, a high-profile district in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
• Leading individual in Real Estate
Chambers Latin America: 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 , 2017 and 2018
Who’s Who Legal Brazil: 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017
The Legal 500: 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018
• Leading individual in Corporate/M&A
Chambers Latin America: 2010, 2015 and 2016
IFRL 1000: 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019
The Legal 500: 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2017
• Leading lawyer in M&A, Capital Markets, Banking and Project Finance
IFLR 1000: 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019
•Co-author, “Private Equity Finds a Home – The Important Regulation Facing Venture Capital Investors in Brazil,” International Financial Law Review, 2009
•“The Boom of M&A Transactions in the Brazilian Real Estate Market,” International Real Estate Finance Review, 2008/2009
Speeches And Seminars
• Speaker, International Bar Association Conference, Miami, February 2009
• Speaker, “Investments in Brazil,” Atlas Conference, New York, September 2008
• Membership of YPO (Young Presidents Organization)
• Brazilian American Chamber of Commerce
• Brazilian Bar Association (OAB), Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo Chapters
• Brazilian Institute of Business Law (IBRADEMP)
• International Bar Association (IBA)
OPM Harvard Business School 2018 -01
LL.M. in Corporate Law, New York University Law School, 2002
Specialization in Foundations of American Law and Legal Education, Georgetown University, 2001
M.B.A. in Economics and Corporate Law, Fundação Getulio Vargas (FGV), 2000
B.A. in Law, Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Rio de Janeiro (PUC-Rio), 1998
Rio de Janeiro