T +55 11 3077 3507
+44 7478 568 672
Av. Presidente Juscelino Kubitschek, 1455 – 12th floor, Suite 122 – Vila Nova Conceicao, São Paulo/SP – Brazil, CEP 04543-011.
Marcella is a partner in Campos Mello Advogados who heads the Insurance and Reinsurance practice of the firm shares her time between São Paulo and running the Brazil desk at DLA Piper’s London office.
Marcella has significant experience in insurance and reinsurance industry, from a national and international perspective. She advises clients on transactions and contentious matters, such as mergers and acquisitions, multijurisdictional corporate reorganisations, high profile claims and complex insurance regulatory matters in Brazil and the UK.
Marcella has advised clients on:
• A major run-off company in the acquisition of an insurance company in Brazil in a landmark transaction for the legacy industry in Brazil;
• A leading insurance broker in the acquisition of the shares of a Brazilian company, including required corporate reorganisation of the group and regulatory change of control application;
• The sale of the Latin American operation of a global insurer to a leading international insurer, including required regulatory approvals
• Advised a leading international insurance group on several corporate and regulatory aspects relating to their operation in Brazil, including corporate reorganisation;
• A major reinsurer on the handling of the largest D&O claim in Brazil;
• A major reinsurer on the handling of a significant E&O claim relating to one of the largest environmental disasters in Brazil;
• London market reinsurer on handling a high-profile claim;
• The formation and licensing of insurance and reinsurance companies, intermediaries and related regulatory and corporate approvals;
• Establishment and review of distributions systems and networks, including structuring arrangements with introducers;
• Licensing of foreign reinsurers in Brazil and related regulatory and corporate approvals;
• Developing compliance systems and controls, underwriting and operating guidelines;
• Insurance and reinsurance product and programme design and review;
• Compliance, enforcement and disciplinary actions and any regulatory matters before SUSEP.
• Marcella is recognized as an “Acritas Star – independently rated lawyer”. 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021
“She has an extensive knowledge of the matter. She is very fast to answer queries. The quality of her work, language, content. “
“Marcella is a super qualified lawyer with excellent international experience and is very pragmatic. She is committed to the work, to the deadlines, and to the people.”
• Recommended lawyer in Insurance
The Legal 500: since 2018
• Co-authored an article for Addressing the Sustainability Imperative report published by DLA Piper in 2020.
• Co-authored articles for the Insurance Sector Trends, published by DLA Piper in 2016, 2017 and 2018.
• Opinião.Seg Magazine – “The relevance of Compliance programs for the insurance market”, 8th edition.
• Opinião.Seg Magazine – “New Paths in Risk Sharing Between Insurers and Pension Funds”, 14th Edition
• 20 anos da Lei nº 9.613 de 1998 Magazine – “20 years of Law No. 9,613 and anti-money laundering efforts by the Brazilian Insurance market”
• Brazilian Bar Association (OAB), State of São Paulo
• Member and Co-chair of the Insurance Committee of Lex Anglo Brazil since 2015.
• Dedicated to a number of pro bono matters, including leading a project to support children victim of child abuse and obtaining UK citizenship for children born and living in the UK for more than 10 years.
• Marcella leads the pro bono initiative at Campos Mello Advogados.
University College London, LLM International Business Law.
Fundação Armando Alvares Penteado, São Paulo, Brazil, Bachelor in Laws (LL.B.)
Brazilian Bar Association (OAB), State of São Paulo