Rio de Janeiro
T +55 21 3262 3028
Rua Lauro Müller, 116 – 25th floor Condomínio do Edifício Rio Sul Center Botafogo – Rio Janeiro, RJ – Brazil - 22.290-906
#intellectualproperty #industrialproperty #dataprotection #dataprivacy
Paula Mena Barreto joined the law firm Campos Mello on September 1, 2016 as partner in the Intellectual Property and Data Protection area.
Paula is highly experienced in the area of data protection and privacy matters, advising clients on implementation of privacy policies, as well as data breach and privacy compliance issues, including marketing, labor and consumer related aspects.
Paula also advises clients on intellectual property issues, which include IP transactions (intellectual property agreements, transfer of technology and franchising), as well as prosecution and consulting services in relation to trademarks, copyrights, patents and software.
Paula further advises clients on strategies for IP management, including legal due diligence for evaluation of IP assets and analysis of data privacy compliance, IP policies and litigation. Before joining Campos Mello, Paula Mena Barreto worked at the law firm Barbosa, Müsnich & Aragão for 14 years.
• Advising one of the biggest producers of premium cars on data usage assessment and impact under a Brazilian perspective of its projects, also comparing our regulatory scenario with the European legislation (GDPR)
• Assisting a well-known group of companies, consisting of high-profile brands of apparel and luxury accessories, with data privacy issues and hotspot services in Brazilian stores
• Assisting and providing memorandum to an online game company regarding the sharing of user’s data to authorities upon request, either based on a criminal and civil perspective; assessment of privacy policies of the company
• Advising a renowned game company on IP issues related to online games, as well as the drafting of all agreements related to the protection of such intellectual property assets, data protection and for the ruling of its internet policies
• Advising IT companies in Brazil regarding issues involving data protection, privacy and Internet
• Advising a Brazilian education company on the software agreements and IP policies related to its activities
• Advising a Brazilian energy company on the technology agreements related to the project for the construction of a second-generation ethanol plant
• Advising a renowned Brazillian pulp and paper company on the protection, management and registration of its trademarks in Brazil and abroad
• Advising a Brazilian brewing company on the IP agreements related to the research and sale project of system that produces beverages through a capsule-dispensing method
• Up & Coming in Intellectual Property
Chambers Latin America: 2019 and 2020
Chambers Global: 2019
• Highly Recommended Lawyer in Data Protection
Leaders League: 2018
• Recommended Lawyer in Media, Sports and Entertainment
Leaders League: 2018
• Recommended Lawyer in Intellectual Property and Data Protection
The Legal 500: 2017, 2018 e 2019
• Ranked in “Advocacia 500”: 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019
• E-commerce in Brazil: Practical specificities for complying with the Brazilian online market, November/2018
• “Tackling Gray Market Goods in Brazil”, World Trademark Review issue 70, published by Globe Business Media Group – IP Division, November/2017
• “A Importância de uma Política de Propriedade Intelectual em Tempos de Crise”, Jota, June/2016
• “Good Faith in Franchising”, International Journal of Franchising Law, vol. 13, 2015
• “Disputes Involving Franchising in Brazil”, The Trademark Reporter, November/2015
• “International Libel & Privacy Handebook” (Brazilian Chapter) – 3th Edition, Bloomberg Press, 2013
• “Trademarks and Due Diligence for Merges and Acquisitions in Brazil”, The Trademark Reporter, November/2012
• “Direito Internacional da Propriedade Industrial” (Chapter: Parecer da OAB/RJ sobre Protocolo de Madrid)”, Lumen Juris, 2008
• Professor PUC-RJ (post-graduation) – Licensing Agreements – May 2019.
• Speaker, “The Impact of President Bolsonaro on Press Freedom & Cross Hemisphere Press Freedom Checkup”, Legal Issues concerning Hispanic and Latin America Media, University of Miami, March/2019.
• Speaker, “Fake News in Latin America”- Legal Issues concerning Hispanic and Latin America Media, University of Miami, March/2018.
• Speaker, “Curso de Contratos de Transferência de Tecnologia” (Transfer of Technology Agreement Training Session), ABPI, October 2017.
• Speaker, “Online Piracy in Latin America”- Legal Issues concerning Hispanic and Latin America Media, University of Miami, March/2017
• Speaker, “Summer Olympics 2016” – Legal Issues concerning Hispanic and Latin America Media, University of Miami, March/2016
• Speaker, “Good Faith in Franchising”, IBA/IFA 31st Annual Joint Conference, Chicago, May/2015
• Brazilian Bar Association (OAB), Rio de Janeiro.
• IAPP (International Association of Privacy Professionals).
• LES Brasil (Licensing Executives Society in Brazil)
• INTA (Internet Trademark Association).
• Member of the Copyrights Commission in rio de Janeiro (Brazilian Bar Association)
• Vice-President of LES Brasil (Licensing Executive Society)
• Vice-President, Copyrights Federal Commission (Brazilian Bar Association)
• Member of the American Committee of LESI (Licensing Executive Society International)
Intellectual Property and Business Strategy Program, Harvard Business School, 2012
Intellectual Property Extension Couse, Franklin Pierce University, 2006
Post-Graduation in Intellectual Property Law, Pontifícia Universidade Católica (PUC-Rio), 2002
B.A in Law, Pontifícia Universidade Católica (PUC-Rio), 2001
Rio de Janeiro